A conventional loan is a mortgage that is not backed or insured by the government, including all Federal Housing Administration, Department of Veterans Affairs, or Department of Agriculture loan programs. Conventional loans typically have fixed interest rates and terms.
Currently, conventional mortgages represent around two-thirds of the homeowners’ loans issued in the U.S.
Who Is Likely to Qualify?
People with established and good credit that are sound financially usually qualify for conventional mortgages. Specifically, the ideal candidate should have:
- A credit score of at least 680 but preferably, well over 700. The higher the credit score, the better rate terms a borrower will receive.
- An acceptable debt-to-income ratio (DTI). That number is around 36% and no more than 43% of your monthly income.
- A down payment of at least 20% of the home’s purchase price. We do accept less, but we require that borrowers take out private mortgage insurance (PMI) and pay the monthly premium until you establish an 80% loan-to-value (LTV).
Who Is Unlikely to Qualify
In general, those who are just starting their lives, those with a little more debt than normal, and those with a modest credit rating often have trouble qualifying for conventional loans. More specifically, these mortgages would be tough for those who have:
- Credit scores below 650.
- DTI above 43%.
- Less than a 20% down payment for a home purchase
- Has suffered a bankruptcy or foreclosure within seven years.
FLEXPOINT MORTGAGE PROGRAMS
For homeowners over age 62 that are looking into eliminating their monthly mortgage payment and/or tap into their equity to meet their financial goals
We make buying and refinancing homes easy. Click to learn about the different conventional loans available.
You could be eligible for an FHA loan with a lower credit score and a down payment as low as 3.5%.
When traditional financing doesn’t fit your scenario and you need money quickly, explore these options to see what works for you.
Apply For A Loan
Contact us at (888)909-7717 or fill out our online application.